"My worst fear is to be caught masturbating in the dormitory, being bullied when my friends discovered that I'm gay, and getting an abortion without my parents' knowledge," etc. Those are some of the the concerns of our Deaf youths in America according to a national task force studying sex education in our state schools. Our goals is to develop and updated our current sex education curriculum to meet their needs. While some recommendations are controversial, parents still have the rights to opted out their Deaf child from the program. All dorm counselors are encouraged to take training as part of child development requirements to obtain their certification. Although it hasn't yet been finalized, these are the list of proposals under considerations.
1. A field trip to an abortion clinic.
2. Distribution of condoms in the dorm, each boy will be taught individually its proper uses.
3. School nurse to offer HIV testing to anyone who request it.
4. A tour of a local hospital maternity ward, and when possible, to observe a live birth.
5. An open discussion on masturbation, homosexuality, puberty, STD etc. .
6. Uncircumcised boys be taught to pull up their foreskins to clean their penises.
7. "Show Me" graphic textbook in the elementary dorms.
8. A visit to a exhibition of Sally Mann's photography at a local gallery.
9. Skinny dippy in the school swimming pool.
10. Experience a Finnish sauna.
11. Deaf children weekend at a local nudist resort, participating in Greek games, body painting, etc.
12. Sexual abuse prevention.
13. Testicular self-examination.
14. Conjugal rooms availability
15. Exposure to pornography materials,etc.
Our task force will be accepting inputs from the general public until September 22, contact us at 555- DEAFSEX. Governmental and foundation grants allows us to conduct this research and we'll finalized our research after we held a public hearing on the matter.